Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Back to the Beginning

A few years ago I started my adventures in teaching in a little town called Kindergarten.

Let me just tell you that teaching Kindergarten may or may not have been the most exhausting experience of my life but I LOVED teaching Kindergarten.

It's true.

I loved it.

I learned so many things while I was teaching Kindergarten.  I learned that what the rest of the world thinks is going on every day in Kindergarten (and every other K-12 classroom for that matter) and what actually happens are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS.

I also learned that tying shoes, negotiating who's turn it will be to go to the bathroom next, and answering the questions "how many more minutes until lunch," "do we have gym today,'' "are we going outside today," and "is it almost almost time to go home" on repeat are all important parts to a complete day in Kindergarten.

A couple a years ago I gave myself a promotion and transitioned from teaching Kindergarten to first grade.

I know.  A whole grade level!

Although I do a little less shoe tying and we struggle a little less with missing our "people" at home, what I've really noticed is that my classroom really and truly is a little mini society.

It's a crazy thought.  I know.  They're just kids right?  They are but the truth is their thoughts, opinions, interests, and friendship are so much more well established than we give them credit for.

You may have heard of the famous quote "All I Really Need to Know I Learned In Kindergarten." It's basically a little poem about all the beginning life skills we learn in Kindergarten but what you might not know, is that there's actually an entire book dedicated to this topic.  It's called...you guessed it! All I Really Needed to Know I Learned In Kindergarten.  


Image result for everything i ever really needed to know i learned in kindergarten

If you know me relatively well you know that I'm the child of two educators and I've been pretty open about the fact that the LAST thing I ever wanted to be in life (or least close to last) was a teacher. 

Ever.

Someone how in stunning twist of fate that's exactly what I've ended up doing and even though there are MANY aspects of being a teacher that frustrate, stress, and all out infuriate me some days I LOVE my little mini society and the little people who function in it with me every day.  I love watching them learn something for the first time, interact and grow with their peers, and I love all of the things they teach me.

I'm excited to share life through the eyes of the smallest members of our educational society.  I hope you and enjoy and learn as much from them as I do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment