Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2016

FfF "one step closer" edition

Dear Saturday.  I don't know if I've ever been this happy to see you!

This was our first full week of school since Jonas and it's been busy.


On Sunday we celebrated my cousin's 2nd birthday Minnie Mouse style.  She is one of those of those Mickey Mouse Clubhouse groupies so there was plenty of Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, Daisy, Pete, Goofy, and of course Clarabelle Cow.  Is it sad that I know so much about Mickey Mouse Clubhouse?  

Here is the birthday girl.  She is a 2 years old with the personality of a 17 year old.  Super smart.  She loves sit on my lap and play monkey math school on my phone.  Did I mention how smart she is?



We finished up teen numbers this week. We are working on recognizing these numbers as well as using them to introduce place value.  Place value is a tough concept, especially for Kindergarten.  We have been using a ten frame help us understand place value for numbers 11 to 19.


This week was parent teacher conference.  This is not one of my favorite activities just because it makes for an extremely long day.  I'm not sure how other school districts  run their conferences but we have ours after school.  School all day.  Conferences all evening.  It's long.  The good news it was pretty painless.  
This one was the highlight of my week.  Yesterday my mom had her sixth and final chemo infusion for this part of her treatment.  I had no idea how excited I was going to feel after this.  The last six months have been both unpredictable and challenging to say the very least.  It's an experience I can't really explain but has given me more gratitude and respect than I ever thought I needed.  I continue to be thankful for all of the doctors, nurses, and researchers that are working towards treating and curing cancer.  Through this process we've learned about many experimental treatment, clinical trials, and so many brave women that were willing to experiment on the very same medicines that are now being used to help breast cancer patients including my mom.  It's an incredibly humbling feeling that I just can't put into words. 

 Here's a picture of my mom and I at yesterday's treatment.  Doesn't she look great?!?!

I spent the afternoon with my mom yesterday.  Just the two of us and we did some celebrating for the end of this part of her journey.  We went to one my favorite local lunch spots and also stopped for some cupcakes.


My mom loves all things chocolate so she had to have a double chocolate cupcake.  Notice one came up missing before I was able to get a picture.

And that's a wrap!  Lots to celebrate this week as we are one step closer to no more cancer treatments, one step closer to spring, and of course one step closer the SUMMER!  I can hardly contain my excitement right now.  That was my week.  How was yours?

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful news about your Mum and I loved the photo showing the missing cupcake! Enjoy your weekend :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news about your Mum and I loved the photo showing the missing cupcake! Enjoy your weekend :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for your mom! She does look great, and I'd say she more than earned that double chocolate cupcake. We had our first snow day yesterday. I'm hoping it was the last! Have a wonderful week.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete