Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Five for Friday..Think Pink style

Happy weekend!

I want to start by saying I've always enjoyed my weekends but I've enjoyed my weekends even MORE once I started teaching.  It's been a tough week at school and I'm especially grateful for this weekend.  I'm looking forward to a break, some football, and hopefully finding my Halloween costume!  October is breast cancer awareness month so I hope this post also helps you become a little more aware of all the amazing things going on the breast cancer world.  Here's what's been going on.

We've been mastering the art of math centers.  My reading class has a heavy focus on center rotations and up until this year I thought there was no way I could balance math centers AND reading centers in the same day.  A lot of my students spent last year in preschool so they like moving around and doing different activities and it's really worked for them.  I love when I look around and see such intense focus and learning.



The breast cancer center where my mom is being treated hosted a Survivors Luncheon this past Sunday and I took my mom.  It was a really nice afternoon.  I think they said around 200 women who are currently being treated or are celebrating being cancer free were in attendance.  After both surgeons briefly spoke we were introduce to the special guest speaker Betty Puskar, a cancer survivor and the driving force behind building the breast cancer facility.  They had a question and answer session with surgeons, oncologist, plastic surgeon, and a few other doctors and nurses.  The program concluded with some door prizes and recognition of the most recent survivor as well as the longest survivor in attendance. The most recent survivor is my mom.  We weren't expecting that but I love their attitude towards "surivorship".  It doesn't matter where you are in breast cancer journey, if you're living you're surviving.  What a great motto!  I can't say enough wonderful things about this place.


 I posted earlier this week about my mini reader dilemmas and how I solved my own problem by making my own mini readers.  I was so excited about my success I decided to open a teachers pay teachers store and share it with others. You can read about my dilemmas and excitements HERE.  If you do happen to check it out I would love some feedback.  I'm new to this which means I'm basically clueless.
Wednesday, October 21st was not only Back to the Future day but also national BRA Day.  BRA stands for Breast Reconstruction Awareness.  Many breast cancer patients undergo major surgery as part of their cancer treatment and there is a HUGE movement concerning breast reconstruction and helping women look and feel like their normal selves once their treatments have concluded.

On Wednesday evening my cousin Kaitlyn and I went to the Lakehouse for dinner and to celebrate BRA day. Several restaurants in the area where donating proceeds that night to help women who can not afford breast reconstruction.  It just so happened that the breast cancer center was also at the Lakehouse.  They had a huge party in the back and many of them had on black t-shirts with a pink bra on the front.  I can't tell you how encouraging it was to be there and to see my moms surgeon walking around in her pink bra t-shirt.  Kaitlyn and I also met our friend Jordan, her mom, and their friend Valarie who is also a breast cancer survivor.  We had a really great time.

(from left to right Jordan's mom Jennifer, myself, Kaitlyn, Jordan, and Valarie)
This has been a tough week for me at school.  Trying your absolute hardest to do the right thing for 22 Kindergartens can be a difficult and draining task.  My mom got me a little "pick me up" present for my long week and it was the most perfect gift ever. 
Do you recognize that little girl?  She's Virginia from Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.  I will admit I'm one of those people who refuses to celebrate one holiday before another one begins or ends but I'm so excited to read this book to my class and to have Virginia there with us.  Thanks mom!

Wow! What a week! So many things going on, so much awareness, and I'm so grateful to share what I'm learning with my mom with all of you.  Before my mom was diagnosed I personally was very unfamiliar with breast cancer.  I've learned so much and if I can leave you with one piece of advice I would say please don't avoid your yearly screening, ask tons of questions, and check to make sure your doctors office has advanced, updated equipment.  The biggest advantage we have over cancer of any kind is early detection.  The latest technology and equipment at the breast cancer centers are helping to detect cancer causing cells EARLIER THAN EVER.  I'll also be sharing more as we continue through this process so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me.  I don't have all of the answers and everyone's case is different but I will certainly do my best to point you in the right direction.

That was my week, how was yours?  

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on opening up a TPT store! And thanks for sharing the breast cancer info!

    Sarah
    Years That Ask Questions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing all of that information. Also, the hard weeks will come (even ones that will make this week seem like nothing!), but you will also have amazing weeks that make you understand just why we put up with all the craziness!

    ReplyDelete